Commercial Property Insurance in Hillsborough

Commercial property insurance is to your business what homeowner’s insurance is to your home. It protects your place of business from theft, fire, natural disasters, and other hazards.

This type of commercial insurance is an important part of protecting what you’ve worked so hard to build. Whether you’re a retailer, manufacturer, service provider, or nonprofit, commercial property insurance will help keep your business safe.

What Kind of Property Does This Insurance Cover?

Commercial property insurance not only covers your physical building, but also covers inventory, signage, machinery, and other equipment.

Usually, Commercial Property Insurance coverage can be broken down as follows:

Buildings, including:

  • Owned buildings
  • Leased buildings
  • Permanent fixtures
  • Permanent machinery
  • Permanent equipment

Business property on premises, including:

  • Non-permanent fixtures
  • Machinery
  • Equipment
  • Computers
  • Inventory

Personal property of others that is currently in your business’ custody.

Factors That Impact Commercial Property Insurance Rates in Hillsborough

As a business owner, your next question is probably, “What does commercial property insurance cost?” Or if you already have commercial property insurance, perhaps you are wondering, “What factors have impacted my current rate? How do I ensure I am getting the best value for my hard-earned dollar?”

Commercial property insurance rates vary based on the following categories.


Is your place of business located in a city or town with high-quality fire protection? If so, it will probably cost less to insure than buildings that could not be quickly and efficiently reached by the fire department.

Building covered by commercial property insurance in Hillsborough
Construction of new commercial property in Tampa


Speaking of fire, what is your business’s building made of? Fire-resistant materials could mean a discount, while combustible materials could mean you’re paying more. Be careful when it comes to your construction choices, as wood floors, stairways, or partitions, in an otherwise fire-resistant building will probably nullify this potential rate reduction!


What type of business do you own? An office building will typically mean a lower rate than a restaurant or auto repair shop. If you are part of a multi-business workplace, for example, you lease an office space in the same building as a restaurant, this more “hazardous” tenant will unfortunately have a negative impact on your rate.

In addition to location, construction, and occupancy, commercial property insurance rates can also be impacted by building size, upgrades and improvements, and affixed item values.

You could also consider a business owners policy (BOP), which combines insurance for your structure, property, and other business liability in one policy. The experienced agents at Talley Insurance here in beautiful Brandon, FL can help you decide whether a BOP is right for you!

We’ve Got Your Business Covered

Did you know that independent agents handle more than 50 percent of all active commercial insurance policies in the country? Give us a call today at (813) 685-9393 and we can get started!

How To Determine If You Need Commercial Property Insurance

If you are the owner of a business with a physical location, then the answer is “Yes! You should definitely have commercial property insurance.” This policy should cover your building, equipment, signage, machinery, etc.

Here are a few more scenarios in which you may need commercial property insurance:

  • If you lease your place of business, whether it’s all or part of a property
  • If you store property in another person’s or business’s building
  • If you are a building owner leasing to someone else
  • If you are a tenant of a commercial property (property owners transfer risk to tenants based on the square footage of the lease)
  • If you are a real estate investor (commercial property insurance is needed for real estate investors because they must protect their properties while they are being fixed and/or flipped)

Commercial property insurance is critical for any business owner who does not want to leave the future of their company up to chance. No one is immune to natural disaster or human intrusion. Take a look at the average costs for each of the following claims. If you can’t, or don’t want to pay these potential costs from your company’s pocket, you want commercial property insurance:

  • Theft: $8,000
  • Water damage: $17,000
  • Wind/hail damage: $26,000
  • Fire damage: $35,000

There is no way of guaranteeing that your business’s property will always be safe and sound, but there is a way of ensuring (or should we say “insuring!”) that the costs to repair and replace will not be out of pocket.

Tips for Picking the Right Coverage for Your Business

One of the many great things about commercial property insurance is that business owners can choose what to cover. You can select specific perils, for example, fires, vandalism, etc, or you can choose a policy with open perils, which means all losses unless specifically excluded. The team at Talley Insurance can help you discern what you need to best protect your business without overspending. As independent insurance agents in the Tampa Bay area, we are not handcuffed to one provider. Our loyalty is to YOU and your business!

What Commercial Property Insurance Doesn’t Cover

Commercial Property Insurance is only one form of commercial insurance. It may not cover all of your insurance needs. Commercial property insurance is frequently purchased in conjunction with:

  • Commercial Crime
  • Commercial General Liability
  • Commercial Umbrella
  • Commercial Vehicle
  • Workers’ Compensation Insurance

Again, we are more than happy to help guide you when it comes to what you need. We will never push something you don’t need, and we will always be transparent with you. As a family-run independent insurance agency in Brandon, FL, honesty and integrity inform everything we do.

Tampa business owner saves money on commercial insurance quote

Call Talley Insurance If You Need Commercial Property Insurance

You’ve worked hard to build your business. We know that because we’ve worked hard to build ours!

Talley Insurance is here for your commercial property needs. If you have already entrusted us with your home, renters, or car insurance, you know we go the extra mile to serve our valued customers. If you have any questions about commercial property insurance, call us at (813) 685-9393 or if you want to check out pricing, request a quote!