As a parent, nothing is more important to you than your child’s safety. Over the years, you’ve chosen everything from their food to their schools with great care. Now that they are old enough to drive, you are likely putting that same care into the selection of your teenager’s first vehicle.
If it seems like a daunting choice, don’t worry! Choosing the best car for your child is not as tough as it may seem at first. At Charles D. Talley Jr. Insurance, our agents have helped many Florida parents get the best coverage for their teens before they hit the road. For starters, there are five key factors you should keep in mind when making this choice:
- Reliability- It’s a great idea for your teen to learn how to change a tire, get in the habit of regular oil changes, and discern when they may need to take their car to the shop. However, you may regret purchasing an overly-high maintenance car for your teenager. You don’t want them breaking down at night or spending too much time and money on repairs!
- Safety- This one is a given. Parents always want their children to be safe, and picking a safe car is a great start! Be sure to look for safety features like curtain airbags and electronic stability control. Also make sure the car you buy has received at least a “good” rating by the
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- Size- Disregard the common myth that “bigger” automatically means “safer.” While very small cars do not usually score well on crash tests, larger cars have a higher center of gravity, which makes them more likely to flip. The safest cars for teens are typically mid-sized or compact.
Horsepower- When it comes to teens and horsepower, less is more. Young people can be easily tempted to test a powerful car, so it’s better to steer clear.
- Affordability- Remembering to stay within budget is also important. While you may want to give your child the very best, buying a luxury car for a teenager usually isn’t practical–not to mention that many luxury cars also break the previous horsepower guideline.
These key factors serve as good general guidelines when purchasing a car. They will also come in handy when it comes to finding the right auto insurance coverage for your children. Using these recommendations, we have also compiled a more specific list of vehicles that are very well-suited for teens.
They are as follows:
The 2014 Chevrolet Spark
- $12,170 starting MSRP
- 31 mpg city/39 mpg highway
Though it’s on the smaller end of things, the Spark scored reasonably well on the IIHS’s safety ratings. Its modern look and cheerful colors are well-suited for teenaged drivers. Also, the price is really quite affordable.
The 2014 Ford Focus
- 4-Door Sedan
- $16,810 starting MSRP
- 26 mpg city/36 mpg highway.
This sleek sedan is sure to appeal to your teen’s sportier side. With excellent safety test ratings and versatile appeal, this car does not disappoint. It’s even available in an electric version!
The 2014 Toyota Corolla
$16,800 starting MSRP
28 mpg city/37 mpg highway
“Toyota” is practically synonymous with “reliable.” Not only will your child be safe as a teen, but also as a college student and young adult. This practically bulletproof engine will ensure years of faithful service and safe passengers.
The 2014 Subaru Impreza
- $17,895 starting MSRP
- 21 mpg city/28 mpg highway
If you live in a rural area with dirt roads, it can be especially worrisome to have a teenager on the road. Luckily for families like yours, the all-wheel drive Subaru Impreza is a terrific choice for handling dangerous weather and compromised roads.
The 2014 Honda Accord
- $23,625 starting MSRP
- 27 mpg city/36 mpg highway
The Accord is one of the best-selling cars in the nation, and it’s easy to see why. With its long history of reliability, dependable safety features, and overall great performance, it’s the ideal car for anyone– including your teen!
Hopefully these five general guidelines and five specific examples have helped give you an idea of what car might be best for your teenager. In the end, the choice is personal and only you can come to the right conclusion for you and your family. However, we can get you a free auto insurance quote today if you’re ready.